Hello!

Hello!

My name is Debbie and I am a recent Law graduate. I graduated from the University of Surrey this July and am now studying the LPC (Legal Practice Course) LLM in Professional Legal Practice at the University of Law, Moorgate campus.

I hope to use this blog to tell readers about my experiences studying the LPC, working while studying and my quest to obtain a training contract. That's why I chose to call this blog The Legal Ladder, as I'm hoping to progress my legal career and eventually qualify as a solicitor.

As for the area of law in which I would like practise, my ambition is to have a career as an in-house solicitor for a business. As such, I will be choosing business-related electives on the LPC.

I am studying the LPC on a two-day basis, while also gaining work experience at a law firm local to where I'm living. I am working at the firm on Mondays and Fridays, and going to Uni on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I have just finished my first week on the LPC. So far, I have completed the Practical Legal Research, Drafting, Interviewing and Legal Writing workshops. I think this first week has gone well, and I've settled in well. I was told that the average time to complete prep work for each workshop is 5-6 hours, and that is largely correct. There is already a substantial amount of reading, and I will need to develop both speed reading and the ability to 'read smart' in order to not be too bogged down by the reading required. That being said, I am enjoying the practical aspect of the LPC, which was something I was worried about prior to starting the course, as my Law degree was mostly theory. It will be good to apply the law in a practical setting.

As for work experience, I am thankful to be undertaking work at a firm that has a friendly and helpful atmosphere, and I am learning a lot. I have helped solicitors and paralegals with a variety of tasks, such as preparing bundles, writing letters and filling in forms. I have also helped with general admin, such as photocopying, scanning, faxing and writing and banking cheques. I have been trained to use the ALB management system.

I have been asked by a paralegal at the firm to attend court on Monday in order to clerk the first day of a week of hearings for her client. Clerking will involve taking notes on what is said during the hearing, liaising with counsel and at the end of the day, calling the Principal of the firm to update her on the developments in the case, what went on and what she will need to do next. I'm looking forward to it as it will be a new experience for me. I am aiming to write a post here detailing the experience.

I am hoping to update this blog at least once a week. Posts will not be limited to the LPC and work experience, as I may want to discuss interesting news stories that I come across or anything else that I think would be useful.

Have a good weekend!

Comments

Post a Comment